Mauritian Gaming Laws
By Reno Rollins
Gambling is legal in Mauritius. This extends to casino gambling, online gambling, horse racing and the national lottery. The legal gambling age has been set at 18.
Casinos in Mauritius
The nation has nine operational casinos. The Caudan Waterfront Casino is the largest in terms of the overall number of games.
- Casino de Maurice (Teste de Buch Street, Curepipe, Plaines Wilhems, Mauritius) Slot machines are available from 10am until 2am on Sunday thru Thursday and 10am until 3am on Friday and Saturday. Table games are available from Monday thru Saturday from 8pm until 4am and 2pm until 4am on Sunday and holidays. The casino offers 175 gaming machines and 17 table games (including American Roulette, Blackjack and Oasis Poker). There are also two bars located on the property. French and English are spoken by the casino staff. For more information, call +230 602 1300.
- Flic en Flac Casino (Pasadena Building, Flic en Flac, Mauritius) This casino offers 53 slot machines from 10am until 2am on Sunday thru Thursday and 10am until 4am on Friday and Saturday. Eleven table games are available daily from 9pm until 3am, including Oasis Poker, Blackjack and American Roulette. For more information, call +230 453 8022.
- Berjaya Le Morne Beach Hotel & Casino (Case Noyale, Le Morne, Riviere du Rempart, Mauritius) Open daily from 9pm until 4am, this casino has 22,275 square feet of gaming space. There are 16 gaming machines (including Video Poker) and 13 table games (including Poker, Oasis Poker, Blackjack and American Roulette). Three restaurants are located on the property, as well as two bars and a 200-room hotel. For more information, call +230 450 5050.
- Grand Casino du Domaine (Domaine Les Pailles, Pailles, Mauritius) Slots are available daily from 10am until 2am, while table games are open from 8pm until 4am on Monday thru Saturday and 2pm until 4am on Sunday and holidays. There are 48 gaming machines located on the property and 26 table games (American Roulette, Blackjack and Oasis Poker). The premises also features one bar and five restaurants. For more information, call +230 286 0107, or visit their website at www.casinosofmauritius.com.
- Caudan Waterfront Casino (Le Caudan Waterfront, Port Luis, Mauritius) The slot machines are open from 10am until 2am on Sunday thru Thursday and 10 am until 3am on Friday and Saturday. Table games are open from 8pm until 4am on Monday thru Saturday and 2pm until 4am on Sunday and holidays. There are 197 gaming machines on the property and 16 table games (including Touch Bet Roulette, Oasis Poker, Blackjack and American Roulette). For more information, call +230 210 4203.
- LíAmicale de Port Louis Casino (6 Chaussee Street, Port Louis, Mauritius) This casino is open daily from 10am until 2am. There are 62 gaming machines available, as well as two table games (Electronic Roulette). A bar is also located on the premises. For more information, call +230 210 9713.
- Pítit Monaco Casino (Rodrigues, Rodrigues Island, Mauritius)
- Trou Aux Biches Casino (Trou Aux Biches Hotel, Royal Road, Trou aux Biches, Mauritius) Slot machines are open daily from 10am until 2am, and table games are open from 9pm until 4am on Monday thru Saturday and 3pm until 4am on Sunday and holidays. There are 70 gaming machines available, plus 15 table games (Oasis Poker, Blackjack and American Roulette). There are two restaurants on the property, plus a 231-room hotel. For more information, call +230 265 6619.
Horse Racing in Mauritius
On June 25th, 1812, the Champ de Mars Raceway was open at the Mauritius Turf Club. It is the second oldest racecourse in the world and the oldest in the southern hemisphere. Racing is popular on the island nation, often drawing crowds of over 35,000 (while crowds of 100,000 are not unheard of). Horses are often imported from South Africa, France, Australia and the United Kingdom.
The Champ de Mars Raceway has four major races per year. These include: Barbe Cup, Duchess of York Club, Maiden Cup and Duke of York Club.
The track is located at Doctor Eugene Laurent Street, Champ de Mars, Port Louis, Mauritius. It is 1,298 meters in circumference. The home straight is uphill and 225 meters long, and the trackís width varies between 12 and 14 meters.
A race book is also available at the track. For more information, call +230 208 6047, or visit their website at www.mauritiusturfclub.com.
Lottery in Mauritius
The lottery in Mauritius is conducted by the Government Lotteries Committee, which is located in the city of Port Louis. Their phone number is (230) 210-1391. Traditional passive draw lotteries are available, and proceeds go to the nationís treasury.
Online Gambling in Mautitius
Online gaming companies operating in Mauritius must have a license from the government. This has been required since 1996, and the first one was granted to Bowmans Sportsbook.
As of this writing, the only gambling site being operated out of Mauritius is QQExchange, a betting exchange using Player2Players software. The site is available in English and Chinese, and a download is not required in order to place a wager. The site accepts U.S. dollars, U.K. pounds, Singapore dollars, euros and Hong Kong dollars. For more information, call (866) 338-9119.
Mauritius is an island nation off the coast of Africa. Located in the Indian Ocean, it is about 560 miles east of Madagascar. Part of the Mascarene Islands, Mauritius also contains the islands of St. Brandon, Rodrigues and the Agalega Islands. Mauritius attained its independence in 1968 and has been a stable democracy ever since.
The country is divided into nine districts. They are:
- Black River
Sugar cane is grown on 90% of the cultivated land, while over 9,000 offshore companies operate out of Mauritius. France is their largest trading partner.
Seventy percent of the population is comprised on Indo-Mauritians, while the other thirty percent are mostly Creole. A large number of Chinese descendents also live on the island, and there are residents originally from Africa, Madagascar, France and Great Britain.
The countryís official language is English, and all government documents are drawn up in the language. In the media and in business, French is the major language. Both languages are taught in the school system. The most widely-spoken language, however, is Mauritian Creole.
Other languages found in Mauritius include: Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Teluga, Marathi, Bhojpuri, Gujarati, Punjabi, Cantonese, Hakka and Mandarin.
The Hindu religion is the largest in Mauritius, with 52% of the population adhering to this belief. Other religions include Roman Catholicism, Islam, Buddhism, Adventist Protestantism and Sikhism.
United Kingdom Gambling
|M: Macedonia Gambling, Macau Gambling, Madagascar Gambling, Malawi Gambling, Malaysia Gambling, Maldives Gambling, Mali Gambling, Malta Gambling, Marshall Islands Gambling, Martinique Gambling, Mauritania Gambling, Mauritius Gambling, Mayotte Gambling, Mexico Gambling, Micronesia Gambling, Moldova Gambling, Monaco Gambling, Mongolia Gambling, Montenegro Gambling, Montserrat Gambling, Mozambique Gambling, Myanmar Gambling|